Why is prevention important?
Over 30 million children and adolescents participate in sports. According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 2.6 children 0 to 19 years old are treated in the emergency department each year for sports and recreation-related injuries.
While the benefits of participating in a sport far outweigh the risks, it's important to recognize the risks so that you are able to minimize them as best you can.
6 Steps to Take to Reduce Sports Injuries
- Make sure they have frequent water breaks to prevent dehydration and overheating.
- Have kids wear appropriate equipment, from the right shoes to safety great that is properly fitted.
- Limit the number of teams your child plays with in one season to reduce over-use injuries.
- Get them a preseason check-up from your doctor.
- If they are in pain or tired, have them take a break.
- Make sure the rules of the game are always followed.