- Don't leave for a party hungry. Eat a healthy snack before beading out the door such as nuts, yogurt or a piece of fruit.
- Use small plates to serve yourself. This helps to control portion size.
- Limit your liquid calories. Margaritas, punches and eggnog are filled with sugar. Enjoy your holiday drink, but sip it slowly, and also stay hydrated. Hunger is often mistaken for thirst, so down a glass of water before piling up your plate.
- Start with the low-calorie options. Cut-up veggies and salads are a healthy way to fill up before you hit the cheese table.
- Socialize away from the food. You'll be less tempted to grab that extra cookie if your conversation is out of sigh from the buffet.
Keep up with Texas Orthopedics news by following us on Facebook and Twitter (@TexasOrthopedic).